In Iloilo City, Philippines, there is a religious and cultural festival called the Dinagyang Festival. It happens every year on the fourth Sunday of January, right after the Sinulog Festival in Cebu and the Ati-Atihan Festival in Kalibo, Aklan.
Iloilo City is gearing up for a big event, Dinagyang 2023. One of the largest celebrations in the Philippines, Dinagyang, will be a spectacular event! The event was created with tourists and locals in mind, there’s everything for everyone from street parades and cultural events to delicious food and thrilling games.
Following the pandemic, the festival will provide lots of entertainment! With its vibrant costumes, stunning floats, and amazing dance shows, Iloilo City Dinagyang 2023 is bound to be a unique experience that should not be missed!
Symbol of Dinagyang Festival
Dagoy. Dagoy is the official mascot of the Dinagyang festival. In 2002, he came to life from the sketches that were used to promote Dinagyang. Later, the caricature became the festival’s official logo.
Dinagyang Festival Theme 2023
The theme “Iloilo Dinagyang 2023: Pasalamat kay Senior Sto. Nino,” will be the people in Ilo-ilo’s way of saying thanks to Sto. Niño, the child Jesus, for all the protection and grace he has given, especially as a lighthouse during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Dinagyang Festival Costume
The costumes worn by performers during the Dinagyang Festival are inspired by the traditional garb of the Ati people, the indigenous inhabitants of the island of Panay in the Philippines. The costumes are typically made from various materials such as bamboo, coconut shells, and indigenous fabrics like banig (mat), abaca, and jusi.
Image source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/77/80/807780110485fe63d307b02792f0e994.jpg
The men’s costumes typically consist of a loincloth or a short skirt made of banana fibers or abaca and they are often decorated with beads and other ornaments. The performers will usually paint their bodies black or dark brown with charcoal. Some men dancers wear “tapis”, a traditional skirt, and a headdress made of colorful feathers and beads. They also wear armbands and legbands.
Image source: https://pin.it/5Xn3J0e
The women’s costumes, on the other hand, are usually more elaborate. They are made of brightly colored fabrics and adorned with beads and other embellishments. The female performers will wear a bra top and a skirt, made of indigenous materials. The performers will also wear a headdress, bracelets, anklets, and other ornaments. Some female dancers also wear traditional skirts like “saya” or “patadyong” and other indigenous fabrics.
Dinagyang Schedule and Date 2023
Take a look as we discover the things that make Dinagyang so unique, starting with the preparations for the festival, through the many activities and events to ending the festival with the sound of a bang!
The preparations for Dinagyang 2023 are in full swing and there are many exciting new events and activities scheduled to offer visitors a greater experience.
Official Dinagyang Schedule of EVENTS and ACTIVITIES
- January 13, 2023 (Friday |1 PM – 6 PM)
- Grand Opening Salvo | Location: Iloilo Freedom Grandstand
- January 18, 2023 (Wednesday 6 pm)
- Miss Iloilo | Location: Iloilo Convention Center
- January 19 – 22, 2023 (Thursday to Sunday)
- Iloilo Dinagyang Food Festival | Location: Downtown Area | Iloilo City Mall
- January 20, 2023 (Friday 2 PM – 6 PM)
- Sto. Niño Fluvial Procession & Solemn Foot Procession | Location: Muelle Loney
- January 21, 2023 (Saturday 8 AM – 12 PM)
- 8 AM – 12 PM
- Kasadyahan sa Kabanwahanan | Location: Iloilo Freedom Grandstand | Muelle Loney St. Iloilo City (3 other stages)
- 1:30 PM – 5:30 PM (Saturday)
- Sponsor’s Mardi Gras | Location: Iloilo Freedom Grandstand
- 6 PM – 9 PM ( Saturday)
- Dinagyang Ilomination | Location:Iloilo City Diversion Road Proposed Routes: Atria Park – SM City – Megaworld
- Dinagyang Floats Parade of Lights | Location: Iloilo City Diversion Road Proposed Routes: Atria Park – SM City – Megaworld
- 8 AM – 12 PM
- January 22, 2023 (Sunday 8 AM – 12 PM)
- Dinagyang Sa Barangay Tribes Competition | Location:Iloilo Freedom Grandstand
- Dinagyang Awarding Ceremony | Location:Iloilo Freedom Grandstand
Dinagyang Festival 2023 Schedule of Activities
Dinagyang Tickets 2023
Dinagyang Ilomination Tribes Competition Pass (1 ticket only)
Date: January 21, Evening
1. Atria Park District Judging Area – Tickets Sold at Seda Hotel Ticket Price: P2,500.00
2. SM City Iloilo Judging Area – Hotel Del Rio Ticket Price: P2,500.00
3. Iloilo Business Park Judging Area – Richmonde Hotel Iloilo Ticket Price: P2,500.00
Kasadyahan sa Kabanwahanan (1 ticket for 2 events)
Date: January 21, morning
Dagyang sa Barangay
Date: January 22 morning
Passes available at:
1. The Freedom Grandstand Judging Area at the Hotel Del Rio
2. Quezon-Ledesma Judging Area Sold at GT Iloilo Hotel
3. Rizal-Mapa Judging Area Richmonde Hotel Iloilo
For more information, visit the Iloilo Dinagyang Facebook page.
Experience Dinagyang Festival in Ilo-ilo
Image source: https://pin.it/5pwZgcL
Here are a few steps you can follow to attend the Dinagyang Festival:
Plan your trip: The Dinagyang Festival is held annually in Iloilo City, Philippines. To attend the festival, you will need to make travel arrangements to get to Iloilo City. This may include booking a flight, train, or bus ticket and reserving a place to stay.
Purchase tickets: Some events at the Dinagyang Festival may require tickets, so be sure to check ahead of time and purchase tickets if necessary.
Familiarize yourself with the festival schedule: The Dinagyang Festival features a variety of events and activities, such as street parades, cultural performances, and religious ceremonies. Check the festival schedule to see what events you would like to attend and plan your trip accordingly.
Pack for the trip: Make sure to bring all necessary items for your trip, including clothes, toiletries, and any other essentials. It can get hot and humid in Iloilo City during the festival, so be sure to pack light and comfortable clothing.
Follow local customs and guidelines: The Dinagyang Festival is a cultural and religious event, so it’s important to be respectful of local customs and traditions. Follow the guidelines and instructions of the organizers and be mindful of your surroundings.
Activities in Dinagyang Festival 2023
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/JerryTrenasOfficial
Here are a few more activities and attractions that you can enjoy during the Dinagyang Festival:
Cultural workshops: Many of the cultural performances and demonstrations at the Dinagyang Festival are interactive, allowing you to try your hand at traditional crafts and activities. Some workshops may include traditional dance or music lessons, or demonstrations of local crafts such as basket weaving or pottery.
Tour the city: Iloilo City tourist Spots is a historic and culturally rich city, and the Dinagyang Festival is a great opportunity to explore the city and learn about its history and culture. There are several historical landmarks and cultural sites to visit, such as the Iloilo Museum, Jaro Cathedral, and the Molo Mansion.
Visit local markets: The Dinagyang Festival is also a great opportunity to shop for souvenirs and handmade crafts. There are local markets set up throughout the city, offering a wide range of handmade products, including jewelry, clothing, and home decor.
Enjoy local cuisine: The Dinagyang Festival is a great opportunity to try local cuisine and sample traditional dishes. There are food stalls and street vendors offering a wide range of local specialties, including seafood, grilled meats, and sweet treats.
Dinagyang Festival Travel Tips
The Dinagyang Festival is a popular annual event held in Iloilo City, Philippines. It is a cultural and religious celebration that features colorful and energetic performances by participants dressed in elaborate costumes, as well as street parades and other festivities. Here are a few travel tips to help you make the most of your visit to the Dinagyang Festival:
Plan your trip in advance: The Dinagyang Festival is a popular event and accommodation in Iloilo City can be hard to find, especially during peak season. Make sure to book your hotel or accommodations early to ensure that you have a place to stay.
Pack light: The festival can get crowded, so it’s a good idea to pack light and only bring essentials. This will make it easier for you to move around and enjoy the festivities.
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes: The festival is a lively and energetic event, and you will likely be on your feet a lot. Make sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes to avoid getting tired or sore.
Stay hydrated: It can get hot and humid in Iloilo City during the festival, so it’s important to stay hydrated. Bring a water bottle with you and take regular breaks to rest and rehydrate.
Be respectful of local customs: The Dinagyang Festival is a cultural and religious event, so it’s important to be respectful of local customs and traditions. Follow the guidelines and instructions of the organizers and be mindful of your surroundings.
History of the word “Dinagyang”
The word “Dinagyang” is derived from the Hiligaynon term “dagyang,” which means “merrymaking.” The festival is named Dinagyang to reflect the lively and energetic atmosphere of the event, which is characterized by colorful and elaborate costumes, lively music and dance performances, and street parades.
The Dinagyang Festival is an annual event held in Iloilo City, Philippines, and is a celebration of the local culture and history of Iloilo City. It was first held in 1977 as a way to honor the Santo Niño (Holy Child), the patron saint of the city.
Over the years, the Dinagyang Festival has become one of the most popular events in the Philippines, attracting thousands of visitors from around the world. In addition to its cultural and religious significance, the festival is also a major economic boost for Iloilo City, as it attracts tourists and boosts local businesses.
Story Behind Dinagyang Festival
It tells the story of how people came to love the Holy Child Jesus, who Filipinos call Sr. Sto. Nino. The festival also remembers when the Malay people came to live in the Philippines and the legend of how the Ati people traded Panay Island with them.
Here are some dos and don’ts for the Dinagyang Festival:
- Do follow the guidelines and instructions of the organizers: The Dinagyang Festival is a well-organized event, and the organizers have put in place guidelines and instructions to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants. Make sure to follow these guidelines to have a smooth and enjoyable experience.
- Do bring plenty of water: It can get hot and humid in Iloilo City during the festival, so it’s important to stay hydrated. Make sure to bring a water bottle with you and take regular breaks to rest and rehydrate.
- Do wear comfortable clothing and shoes: The festival is a lively and energetic event, and you will likely be on your feet a lot. Make sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes to avoid getting tired or sore.
- Do be respectful of local customs and traditions: The Dinagyang Festival is a cultural and religious event, so it’s important to be respectful of local customs and traditions. Follow the guidelines and instructions of the organizers and be mindful of your surroundings.
- Don’t bring large bags or backpacks: The festival can get crowded, and large bags or backpacks can be cumbersome and difficult to carry around. Pack light and only bring essentials to make it easier to move around and enjoy the festivities.
- Don’t bring outside food or drinks: There are plenty of food and drink stalls and vendors at the festival, so there is no need to bring your own. Bringing outside food or drinks may also be prohibited by the organizers.
- Don’t litter: Please be mindful of your surroundings and dispose of your trash properly. Keep the festival clean and help to preserve the beauty of Iloilo City.
- Don’t take photographs or videos without permission: Please respect the privacy of others and ask permission before taking photographs or videos of people or performances.
Enjoy the Beauty of Ilo-ilo and what Dinagyang Festival Can Offer
Iloilo City is a beautiful and vibrant city located on the island of Panay in the Visayas region of the Philippines. The city is known for its rich history and culture, as well as its beautiful beaches and natural attractions.
One of the major events that take place in Iloilo City is the Dinagyang Festival, which is a cultural and religious celebration that features colorful and energetic performances by participants dressed in elaborate costumes, as well as street parades and other festivities.
If you’re planning a trip to Iloilo City, you can enjoy the beauty of the city and also take the opportunity to experience the Dinagyang Festival. During your visit, you can explore the rich culture and history of the city, visit local markets and food stalls to sample traditional cuisine, and take in the sights and sounds of the festival.
In addition to the Dinagyang Festival, there are also many other attractions and activities to enjoy in Iloilo City, such as visiting historical landmarks and cultural sites, taking part in outdoor adventures and water sports, and exploring the natural beauty of the surrounding area.
If you are interested in learning more about the Dinagyang Festival and other famous festivals in the Philippines, we invite you to visit our website. Here, you can find more tips about the festival, as well as other cultural events and attraction in the Philippines.
Video Production: Video Production NYC