What is Kaamulan Festival?
The Kaamulan Festival is an annual cultural festival that takes place in the province of Bukidnon, a landlocked province in the Northern Mindanao region of the Philippines, where it celebrates the rich cultural heritage of the indigenous people of Bukidnon. Bukidnon is one of the best Mindanao tourist spots. Seven tribes live in the province of Bukidnon. They are the Talaandig, Higa-onon, Bukidnon, Umayamnon, Matigsalug, Manobo, and Tigwahanon tribes.
The word “Kaamulan” is derived from the Binukid (native language of Bukidnon) word “amul,” which means “to gather” or “to meet.” Therefore, “Kaamulan” can be translated to mean “a gathering” or “a meeting place.” The festival is named as such because it gathers the different indigenous tribes of Bukidnon, where they come together to celebrate their culture and traditions.
Kaamulan Event Place
The festival is held in the city of Malaybalay, which is the capital of Bukidnon. It usually begins in the middle of February and lasts for several days. The main event is a grand parade featuring colorful tribal costumes and traditional dances, which is held on the final day of the festival. The parade usually culminates at the Kaamulan grounds, where cultural fairs and other activities happen.
Kaamulan Festival is a celebration of the unity, culture, and tradition of the seven tribes in Bukidnon. The highlight of the festival is the street dancing parade that showcases the different traditional attires, dances, and rituals of the tribes.
This festival also creates an avenue for promoting indigenous culture, heritage and, at the same time, a means of income-generating activity for the local community. The festival provides an economic boost in the province as it attracts a lot of tourists, local and foreign, to visit Bukidnon and see the different cultural showcases and activities.
OFFICIAL KAAMULAN 2023 Schedule of EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
Kaamulan Festival 2023 is happening! Magbibo tang tanan! The annual gathering of the seven hill tribes of Bukidnon is coming up, and before we know it, thousands of locals, tourists, and guests will again come to Malaybalay City, the capital of Bukidnon, for the Kaamulan Festival, the only real ethnic festival in the Philippines. The 7 hill tribe get together every year at the Kaamulan Festival 2023.
By virtue of a provincial resolution written by a longtime friend and member of the Bukidnon 2nd District Board, Bukidnon Online. Atty. Jun Beltran, every year the Kaamulan Festival is held in Bukidnon from March 23 to April 23. This year will be the same, because Atty. Beltram himself confirmed that the grand opening of the 2023 Kaamulan will be on March 23, 2023.
Without further ado, here is the schedule of events for the Kaamulan Festival in 2023. Note: This schedule could still change, so check the Kaamulan Festival Page for the latest news.
Kaamulan Festival 2023 Tentative Schedule of Activities
- Grand Opening / Cutting of the Ribbon Ceremony (Capitol Grounds)
- Competition for the Drum and Lyre
- Show of Culture and Art (month-long)
- Agri-Fair and Garden Show (month-long)
- Kaamulan Ethno Cultural Music Festival (Centennial Stage, Malaybalay City) until March 25.
- Rodeo (Impasugong) until March 26
- Dart Tournament (TBA) until March 26
- Ultra Marathon (2nd Leg) Malitbog / Manolo Fortich
March 27–March 29
- Tournament of Chess (Bukidnon State University)
- Basketball (Valencia City and Manolo Fortich) – until March 30, Finals on March 31
- National Enduro Fest (Manolo Fortich) will be held (at Grandstand, Malaybalay City)
- Tennis Tournament (Barangay 1, Malaybalay City) until April 2
- Softball Tournament (Capitol Grounds): until April 2
- Mr. and Ms. Summer Bod: until April 2 (Mangima, Manolo Fortich)
- Car and Motor Show (Robinsons Place, Valencia City)
- Dance, Play (Robinsons Place, Valencia City)
- From April 6 – 9, there will be no events because of Holy Week.
- Ethnic Sports (Capitol Grounds, Malaybalay City)
- Badminton (Belyca, Malaybalay) (Belyca, Malaybalay)
- Wedding of a tribe (Capitol Grounds)
- Piniliyapan Hu Bukidnon (Folk Arts Theater)
- Binibining Bukidnon 2023 (Sports Complex, TBA)
- Show Horse (Valencia City)
- Sign up for the Obstacle Course (BRCI, Manolo Fortich)
April 18 and 19
- Open volleyball on (Manolo Fortich)
- Boxing on (Freedom Park, Malaybalay City)
- Pamuhat / Pamukalag
- Kaamulan Street Dancing (Pine Hills Sumpong area to Capitol Grounds)
- Evening events include a performance by a famous band and a Pyro Musical.
NOTE: This schedule could still change, so please join the Mindanaoan Facebook group to stay in the know.
The Ethnic Street Dancing and Ground Presentation Competition is sure to draw the most people. The contingents will show the dances, music, and ways of life of each tribe. There will also be members of each tribe in each contingent.
If you want to go to the Kaamulan Festival in 2023, you should book your lodging early because Malaybalay City doesn’t have enough places to stay yet. You can look for cheap hotel rooms in the list below: (You can also look for hotel rooms in Valencia City; Malaybalay is about 30 minutes from Valencia)
KAAMULAN 2023 SCHEDULE Magbibo tang tanan!
Image source: BukidnonOnline.com
Kaamulan Festival Costume
Several people from these seven hill tribes of Bukidnon get together with the people who live in the town. They wear their Kaamulan costumes with trinkets, anklets, earrings, necklaces, leglets, headdresses, and amulets.
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/BRAINWORKS.418?__tn__=-UC*F
The traditional Kaamulan costumes worn by men during the Kaamulan Festival in Bukidnon, Philippines, typically feature a G-string and a headpiece made of feathers. The costumes include chest pieces and other adornments made of beads, shells, and other natural materials. The traditional costumes worn by men of the different indigenous groups in Bukidnon, such as the Higaonon and Talaandig, also include similar elements.
On the other hand, traditional Kaamulan costumes worn by women during the Kaamulan Festival in Bukidnon, Philippines, typically feature a colorful skirt, a blouse, and a headpiece. These costumes are adorned with intricate beadwork, shells, and other natural materials. The traditional costumes worn by women of the different indigenous groups in Bukidnon, such as the Higaonon and Talaandig, also include similar elements with slight variations.
Activities in Kaamulan Festival
Image source: https://pin.it/16yCcxI
Some of the activities and attractions you can enjoy when visiting the Kaamulan Festival
The Kaamulan Festival offers a variety of cultural activities and attractions that visitors can enjoy. Some of these include:
- Traditional Dance Performances: The festival features a variety of traditional dances that showcase the cultural heritage of the Bukidnon people. These dances are performed by locals dressed in traditional costumes, often including live music and drumming.
- Cultural Contests and Games: Visitors can participate in or watch various traditional contests and games that take place during the festival, such as tug-of-war, bamboo pole climbing, and bamboo dance competitions.
- Street Dancing: The festival’s highlight is the grand parade, where groups of locals dressed in colorful traditional costumes perform dance routines in the streets.
- Traditional Crafts and Souvenirs: Visitors can buy traditional handicrafts made by local artisans, such as woven baskets, wooden carvings, and beadwork.
- Local Foods and Delicacies: The festival provides an excellent opportunity to taste a variety of traditional Bukidnon foods, such as “binignit” and “tiyula itum”. The food is often served at food stalls located throughout the festival area.
- Cultural Tours: Visitors can take a tour of the different tribes of Bukidnon tourist spots, which have their unique traditional houses, customs, and way of life.
- Cultural Display: A variety of different cultural displays can be found in the festival, including showcasing traditional weapons, textiles, and jewelry.
- Parades and Street Dancing: Parade is one of the highlights of the event. It showcases the best of the festival, where locals dress in traditional costumes, street dances, and other performances that celebrate the culture of the indigenous people.
Please note that depending on the festival, some activities might not be available all the time, and it’s best to check the schedule of activities on the official website of the festival or from the local government unit.
What to expect during KAAMULAN FESTIVAL 2023
During the festival, visitors can expect to see a variety of traditional dances, music, and other cultural performances. The festival also features a parade of traditional costumes, which is one of the highlights of the event. The costumes worn by the participants showcase the rich and diverse heritage of the various indigenous groups in the area.
Here is a list of things visitors can expect during the Kaamulan Festival in Bukidnon, Philippines:
Traditional dances and music performances: Visitors can expect to see a variety of traditional dances and musical performances that showcase the indigenous cultures of the area.
Parade of traditional costumes: One of the highlights of the festival is a parade of traditional costumes worn by the participants, which showcases the rich and diverse heritage of the various indigenous groups in the area.
Local crafts and products: Visitors can expect to find local crafts and products such as fabrics, basketry, and ceramics on display and for sale during the festival.
Traditional dishes: Visitors can sample traditional dishes from the area at food stalls. These are often made from locally grown ingredients and reflect the diverse cultural heritage of the indigenous groups in Bukidnon.
Ethnic sports and traditional games: Visitors can participate in or watch traditional games such as archery and ethnic sports.
Cultural workshops: Visitors can learn about traditional skills, crafts, and cultural practices.
Festive atmosphere: The festival has a lively and colorful atmosphere, where visitors can immerse themselves in the culture and heritage of Bukidnon.
Community celebration: The festival brings the community together to celebrate their culture and heritage.
Photography opportunity: The traditional costume, dances, and overall ambiance of the festival provides a great opportunity for visitors to capture picturesque moments.
Learn and understand the culture: The festival provides visitors an opportunity to learn and understand the rich cultural heritage of the indigenous people of Bukidnon
Here are some tips for visitors planning to attend the 2023 Kaamulan Festival:
- Plan your trip in advance. The festival usually takes place in the middle of February, so be sure to plan your trip well in advance to ensure that you get the best accommodations and transportation.
- Dress appropriately. The festival is a celebration of the indigenous culture of Bukidnon, so it’s important to dress appropriately. Light and comfortable clothing is recommended, as the weather can be quite hot during the festival.
- Respect local customs and traditions. Remember that the festival is a celebration of the culture and traditions of the indigenous people of Bukidnon, so it’s important to be respectful of local customs and traditions.
- Bring cash. While most establishments in Malaybalay accept credit and debit cards, it’s always good to have cash on hand, as some vendors at the festival may only accept cash.
- Enjoy the street parade. The grand parade is one of the festival’s main events, and it’s a great opportunity to see the colorful tribal costumes and traditional dances up close. Be sure to arrive early to secure a good spot to watch the parade.
- Immerse yourself in the culture fair. The cultural fair, held at the Kaamulan grounds, is a great opportunity to experience the customs and traditions of the indigenous communities. Visitors can learn more about the culture of Bukidnon through the different vendors showcasing their products and traditional games.
- Try the local food. Bukidnon is known for its delicious local cuisine, so be sure to try some of the food while you’re at the festival. Some popular dishes include roasted chicken, Lechon (roast pig), and a variety of seafood.
- Bring a camera. The festival is full of vibrant colors, traditional costumes, and beautiful performances, so be sure to bring a camera to capture all of the memories.
Kaamulan Festival History
Kaamulan began as a festival on May 15, 1974, when the town of Malaybalay held its first fiesta. A town official thought of inviting some native people to the town and making them dance at Plaza Rizal to liven up the fiesta. The festival, on the other hand, was a big hit, and on September 16, 1977, the Regional Development Council of Region 10 named the Kaamulan festival the regional festival of Northern Mindanao. This is because the festival was shown on TV all over the country.
Kaamulan used to be held in the first week of September, but in 1996, it was moved to its current date to coincide with the province’s founding celebration. In 2014, it was moved to the month of August to mark Bukidnon’s 100th founding anniversary. People said the festival had a good chance of being added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List.
The Kaamulan Festival is a cultural festival celebrated by the indigenous people of the Bukidnon province in the Philippines. The festival features various cultural performances and activities, and it has different schedules and events. However, generally speaking, here is a list of things that are typically allowed during the festival:
Here is a list of things that are typically allowed during the Kaamulan Festival:
- Participating in traditional dances and rituals
- Watching cultural performances and presentations
- Visiting cultural and historical sites
- Purchasing traditional crafts and goods from local vendors
- Taking part in traditional games and activities
- Sampling local food
- Photography and videography of the events
And here are some things that are typically not allowed during the Kaamulan Festival:
- Bringing in alcohol or illegal drugs
- Disrupting or interfering with the events or performances
- Damaging or stealing cultural or historical artifacts
- Engaging in any of form of discrimination or harassment
- Littering or otherwise causing pollution
- Smoking in prohibited areas
Please note that these lists are not exhaustive and may vary depending on the specific location and edition of the festival.
KAAMULAN FESTIVAL IN BUKIDNON, PHILIPPINES
The Kaamulan Festival in Bukidnon is one of the famous festivals in Philippines culture. The festival offers a unique blend of traditional dances, games, and competitions that celebrate the indigenous heritage of the Bukidnon people. The colorful parades and street dancing are a sight to behold, while the traditional crafts and delicacies provide a taste of local culture.
We hope this guide has been helpful in providing an overview of the Kaamulan Festival and what to expect during your visit. We encourage you to visit our site to learn more about other famous festivals in the Philippines and other tourist attractions. With the right planning, the Kaamulan Festival can be an unforgettable and enjoyable experience.
Article Sponsored by: Video Production NYC