If you’re a fan of the famous festivals in the Philippines, then you won’t want to miss the Higantes Festival! This annual celebration is one of the most unique and colorful events in the country, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of Angono, Rizal. From the towering papier-mâché figures of the parade to the traditional dances and cultural performances, the Higantes Festival is a true feast for the senses.
With its rich history and vibrant atmosphere, it’s sure to be an unforgettable experience. So, why not take the time to explore this amazing festival and learn more about its history and events? In this article, we’ll delve into all the fascinating details, from the schedule of events to the local cuisine. Read on to learn about the history, events, activities, and travel tips for the Higantes Festival 2023.
What is Higantes Festival?
Image source: https://photocontest.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/
The Higantes Festival is a traditional celebration held annually in Angono, Rizal, Philippines. The festival is held in honor of San Clemente, the town’s patron saint, and is marked by a series of colorful and lively events, including parades, street parties, and traditional dances.
One of the most distinctive features of the festival is the parade, which features giant papier-mâché figures known as “higantes.” These figures, which can be up to 20 feet tall, are decorated with colorful materials and painted in various designs, and are carried through the streets by participants accompanied by musicians playing traditional instruments.
The festival also includes street parties, cultural performances, and traditional dances, as well as the opportunity to sample local cuisine and delicacies. Visitors can experience the rich cultural heritage of Angono and immerse themselves in the vibrant atmosphere of the Higantes Festival.
The festival is a major cultural event in the Philippines, attracting visitors from all over the country and around the world. It offers a unique opportunity to experience the traditions and customs of Angono and is a must-see for anyone interested in Philippine culture and history.
Higantes Festival Place of Origin
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=5853567274695474&set=pcb.5853567431362125
The Higantes festival has its origin in the late 1800s when Angono was still under Spanish colonial rule. The wealthy people who ran Angono as their hacienda forbade the common people from celebrating except for one festival a year. The hardworking common people used the higantes puppets in their once-a-year festival.
They made the papier-mache giants look like the hacienderos and made fun of them the whole time. People were said to have learned how to make things out of paper from Spanish friars in ways that were never said. The giant puppets show a man or woman in different clothes with their hands on their waists and their faces making commands.
The festival was first held as a way to commemorate the town’s patron saint, San Clemente, and to honor the local artists and artisans who created the giant figures that would become a hallmark of the festival.
What is the Higantes Festival History
In the late 1800s, when Spanish colonists ran Angono as their hacienda, the wealthy ruling class strictly forbade the poor people to celebrate, except for one festival a year. This event has its roots in that time. The hardworking commoners used the higantes puppets in their annual festival. They made the papier-mache giants look like the hacienderos and made fun of them the whole time. People said that Spanish friars taught them how to make things out of paper through unspecified means. The huge puppets show a man or woman in different clothes with their hands on their waists and their faces giving orders.
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5853567388028796&set=pcb.5853567431362125
The Higantes Festival is based on the tradition of the Angono region, which tells us about “Higantes,” which are huge paper-mache sculptures that the peasants made to protest the Spanish Inquisition. Now, amazing paper mache sculptures are part of the Higantes Festival. This party is in honor of San Clemente, the town’s patron saint. People in the area invite guests into their homes and restaurants so they can celebrate the feast. Each barangay has a paper mache structure that is 10 to 12 feet long.
During this time, there were a lot of different traditions, like basaan, where people are doused with holy water for luck during the higantes procession. Because of this festival, Angono is often called the capital of art in the Philippines.
Even though there are different stories about how the Higantes Festival started, one thing is for sure: it has become an important part of the culture and traditions of the people of Angono. People now think that the higantes, which are huge puppets, represent the people’s desire to do well in their chosen fields and make a positive difference in the growth and development of their community.
Higantes Festival Features
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=5853567068028828&set=pcb.5853567431362125
One of the most distinctive features of the Higantes Festival is the giant papier-mâché figures, which are up to 20 feet tall and can weigh over 200 pounds. These figures are created by local artists and artisans and are designed to represent various characters and figures from Philippine folklore, history, and popular culture.
The creation of the giant figures is a labor-intensive process that can take months to complete. The figures are made by layering paper, glue, and paint to create the desired shape and design. Once the figures are finished, they are paraded through the streets of Angono, accompanied by music, dance, and food, in a celebration of Filipino culture and traditions.
What are these HIGANTES made of?
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=5853567154695486&set=pcb.5853567431362125
They are made of paper. The giant figures that are a central part of the Higantes Festival in Angono, Rizal, Philippines, are made of papier-mâché. Papier-mâché is a type of material made by layering paper and glue to create a sturdy and flexible form. To make the giant figures, the artists and artisans layer paper, and glue to build up the shape of the figure, using wooden frames and wire to provide support. Once the basic shape is complete, the figures are painted and decorated with intricate designs using a variety of materials, including paint, fabric, and other decorative elements.
The creation of the giant figures is a labor-intensive process that can take months to complete. The figures are made by skilled craftsmen and women who use traditional techniques passed down from generation to generation. The result is a series of stunning figures that are not only beautiful but also durable, making them the perfect centerpiece for the Higantes Festival.
Higantes Festival Event Schedule 2023
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/TheManilaTimes/photos/pcb.10159815720552012/10159815719522012
One of the biggest events that happen every year in the Philippines is the Higantes Festival. It takes place on November 22 and 23 in Angono, which is in the province of Rizal. It is held in honor of San Clemente, who is the patron saint of fishermen. It’s also called the Feast of San Clemente because of this. The parade of paper-mache giants, some of which are over 3 m (15 ft) tall, is the most exciting part of the festival.
The Higantes Festival 2023 will be held from November 20th to 24th, 2023. The following is a list of the events and activities scheduled for the festival:
- November 20th – Opening Ceremony and Parade of the Higantes
- November 21st – Traditional Filipino Games and Dances
- November 22nd – Street Parties and Fireworks Display
- November 23rd – Traditional Filipino Foods and Drinks
- November 24th – Closing Ceremony and Fireworks Display
Visitors should also be sure to check the schedule of events in advance, as some events may take place in the evening or at night and may require advance registration or tickets. This year, the festival will be held from November 20th to 24th, 2023, and promises to be the most exciting one yet.
Higantes Festival Events and Activities 2023
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/TheManilaTimes/photos/pcb.10159815720552012/10159815719422012
The Higantes Festival is a prominent and beloved event celebrated in Angono, a municipality located in Rizal, Philippines. Every November, the locals of Angono come together to celebrate their culture and faith through vibrant and colorful festivities.
Here is a list of events and activities that are typically part of the Higantes Festival in Angono, Rizal:
- Street Dancing: A fun and lively parade of revelers dressed in colorful costumes and brandishing huge papier-mache dolls of locals.
- Float parade: Colorful floats of papier-mache giants are paraded around town while dancers and musicians accompany them.
- Mass: A solemn mass is held in the church to mark the start of the festivities.
- Giant mask-making: The locals create huge masks of their local celebrities, politicians, and historical figures.
- Giant puppet-making: The locals make huge puppets of their favorite characters, such as superheroes and fairy tale characters.
- Giant paper lantern-making: Locals make huge paper lanterns that are lit up during the parade.
- Procession of the giants: The parade of the papier-mache giants is the highlight of the event, with locals cheering and singing along.
- Higantes race: A fun and lively race of the papier-mache giants along the main street of Angono.
Here are some of the events that happen during the Higantes Festival:
- Live Music: Live music is a staple of the Higantes Festival, with local bands and musicians providing the soundtrack to the celebration. The music is an important part of the festival, serving as a backdrop to the giant figures and traditional dances.
- Food Stalls: Food is an important part of the Higantes Festival, with stalls selling traditional Philippine dishes and snacks. Visitors can sample traditional dishes like adobo, lechon, and sinigang, as well as street food like barbecue and balut (boiled duck eggs).
- Fireworks Display: A spectacular fireworks display is held to close the festival, providing a fitting end to the celebration.
The events and activities of the Higantes Festival vary from year to year, but these are some of the most common elements of the celebration. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, the Higantes Festival is an event that you won’t want to miss, offering a unique and exciting experience that showcases the best of Filipino culture and history.
Highlights of Higantes Festival 2023
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/TheManilaTimes/photos/pcb.10159815720552012/10159815719657012
The highlight of the Higantes Festival is the parade, which features giant papier-mâché figures known as higantes, decorated with colorful materials and painted in various designs. Participants carry these figures through the streets, accompanied by musicians playing traditional instruments.
Higantes Festival Travel Tips
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/TheManilaTimes/photos/pcb.10159815720552012/10159815719687012
It is important to have a few travel tips before attending any festival, especially the Higantes Festival in the Philippines. First and foremost, make sure to plan your trip beforehand and research any cultural norms that may be observed during the festival.
Here are some travel tips for visitors to the Higantes Festival in Angono, Rizal, Philippines:
- Plan ahead: The Higantes Festival is a popular event that attracts large crowds, so it’s important to plan ahead to avoid long lines and crowded conditions. Make sure to book your accommodations in advance, and consider staying in a nearby town if the festival is sold out in Angono.
- Arrive early: Consider arriving early in the day to get the most out of the festival. This will give you a chance to see the parade of giant figures and participate in other events and activities without having to fight for space.
- Wear comfortable clothing: The Higantes Festival is an outdoor event that involves a lot of walking, so make sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Consider bringing a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring cash: Many of the food stalls and vendors at the festival only accept cash, so make sure to bring enough to cover your expenses. There may be few ATMs in the area, so it’s best to withdraw cash in advance.
- Be respectful of the local culture: The Higantes Festival is a celebration of Philippine culture and traditions, so be respectful of the local customs and beliefs. Avoid wearing revealing clothing or engaging in behavior that may be considered disrespectful.
- Take photos: The Higantes Festival is a visually stunning event, so don’t forget to bring your camera or smartphone to take pictures. Just be mindful of other festival-goers, and don’t block their view with your camera.
- Be Ready for a Crowd: Higantes Festival is a popular event, so expect large crowds and plan accordingly.
- Stay Safe: As with any festival, staying alert and aware of your surroundings is important. Make sure to travel in a group and be mindful of any potential safety risks.
- Enjoy the experience: Most of all, make sure to have fun! Higantes Festival is a great opportunity to witness traditional Philippine culture and customs, so make the most of your time there! Take the time to appreciate the giant figures, the traditional dances, and the other elements of the festival, and immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of the Philippines.
By following these travel tips, you can ensure that your visit to the Higantes Festival is a safe, enjoyable, and memorable experience.
How to get to Angono, Rizal for the HIGANTES FESTIVAL?
Angono, Rizal, Philippines, is located approximately 20 miles (32 kilometers) southeast of Manila. There are several ways to get to Angono, depending on your starting location and preferred mode of transportation. Here are a few options:
By bus: Buses run regularly from Manila to Angono, and the journey takes about an hour. You can take a bus from the Cubao or Baclaran bus terminals in Manila and ask the driver to drop you off in Angono.
By jeepney: Jeepneys are a common mode of transportation in the Philippines and are an affordable way to get to Angono from Manila. You can take a jeepney from the Cubao or Baclaran jeepney terminal in Manila and ask the driver to drop you off in Angono.
By taxi or Grab: Taxis and the Philippine equivalent of Uber, Grab, are available in Manila and can be hired to take you directly to Angono. This is a convenient option if you’re traveling with a group or with a lot of luggage.
By private car: If you have your own vehicle, you can drive to Angono from Manila. Depending on traffic, the trip can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.
Regardless of how you get to Angono, be sure to plan your journey in advance and allow enough time to get to the festival grounds. Traffic can be heavy on the roads leading to Angono during the festival, so be prepared for some delays.
Where to Stay and Eat During the Higantes Festival
Visitors to the festival can find a variety of accommodation options, ranging from budget hotels to luxury resorts. There are also numerous restaurants and cafes in the area, serving a variety of traditional Filipino dishes.
Here are a few suggestions for where to stay and eat during your visit:
- Accommodations: If you’re looking for a place to stay during the festival, consider booking a room in a nearby town, such as Antipolo or Pasig. These towns are located just a short drive from Angono and offer a wider range of accommodations, from budget-friendly hotels to luxury resorts.
- Dining: During the festival, you’ll find a variety of food stalls and vendors offering traditional Philippine dishes, snacks, and drinks. Be sure to try some of the local specialties, such as Lechon (roast pig), adobo (stewed meat), and sinigang (sour soup). You can also find street food vendors selling a variety of snacks, such as barbecued meats and grilled seafood.
- Restaurants: There are a few restaurants in Angono that offer a more formal dining experience. Consider checking out local favorites such as Lola Idang’s, which serves traditional Philippine dishes, or one of the seafood restaurants located along the shore of Laguna de Bay.
Regardless of where you choose to stay and eat during the Higantes Festival, be sure to try the local specialties and immerse yourself in the unique culinary culture of the Philippines.
Angono, Rizal Top Tourist Destinations, and Nearby Places
Image source: https://www.behance.net/gallery/6048875/Higantes-Festival
Angono, Rizal is a small town located in the Philippines that is known for its vibrant art and cultural scene, as well as its proximity to some of the country’s most popular tourist destinations. If you’re visiting Angono for the Higantes Festival, consider taking some time to explore the surrounding areas and visit some of the top tourist destinations nearby.
Angono, Rizal, is home to some of the most stunning tourist spots in the country. One of the must-visit attractions is the Angono Petroglyphs, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Other must-visit places in Angono include the Pinto Art Museum, the Angono-Binangonan Man-Made Forest, and the Rizal Shrine and Museum.
Visitors to the festival can also explore the nearby tourist attractions. Nearby places to visit include the Wawa Dam, the Seven Falls of San Pablo City, the Angono-Taytay Man-Made Forest, and the Masinag Market. Other nearby attractions include the Tagaytay Picnic Grove, the Enchanted Kingdom, and the Manila Ocean Park.
Explore the beauty of the Higantes Festival in Angono, Rizal
Image source: https://pin.it/5lmQYW0
In recent years, the Higantes Festival has become a major tourist attraction, attracting visitors from all over the world who come to experience the unique combination of art, culture, and history that defines this special celebration.
Higantes Festival in Angono, Rizal, is a must-visit event for anyone who wants to experience the rich culture and history of the Philippines. With its unique activities, events, and vibrant atmosphere, the festival will surely provide visitors with an unforgettable experience. What are you waiting for? Explore Higantes Festival in Angono Rizal and experience the unique culture and customs of the Filipino people.
We highly encourage readers to visit our website to learn more about these famous festivals and discover other major tourist spots in the Philippines. So plan your trip and join the celebration of this beautiful tradition today!
Article Sponsored by: Video Production NYC